RFC: Should we use the macros in windowsx.h to fix -DSTRICT warni ngs?

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Fri Aug 10 14:23:11 CDT 2001

Patrik Stridvall <ps at leissner.se> writes:

> So the question is:
> Should we use the FORWARD_WM_* macros to avoid typecasts
> (or rather avoid visable typecast) or should we not?
> If not how should we fix the problems?

I think it's better to avoid that. Hiding the typecasts in the macros
doesn't really make things cleaner IMO. This is a case where the API
design forces us to use a typecast, so we might as well make it
explicit.

Note that for the specific case of WM_GET/SETTEXT, it would be much
better to use Get/SetWindowText which will do correct type checks. But
for messages that don't have a corresponding function we have to do
the typecast.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com