CryptoAPI

Travis Michielsen tjmichielsen at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 17 09:23:15 CDT 2001

Hi,

I was going to start implementing the Cypto API (in advapi32.dll) over the
next few weeks.  As of yet these functions are no more than stubs.  However,
I am finding increased use of this API as more applications becomed
networkable and relying more heavily on internet connections.

I was hoping to implement these functions by using the OpenSSL library
(if/when available).  This library seems to have similar capabilities.

One of my concerns is about legal issues.  What special concerns should I
note about cryptographic software?  Are there any special copyright issues I
should be aware of?

Another question is about design.  M$ seems to split the cryptographic
software into different dlls (rsabase.dll, rsasig.dll, dssbase.dll, etc.).
Should I do this as well so that, applications can use the native dlls if
necessary or should I simply implement it entirely though advapi32.dll which
and avoid the need to create several new (and very small) dlls under wine?
Because most of the code is already in another library (OpenSSL) creating
extra dlls seems abit unnecessary.

 - Travis