-clocal and the wineserver

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sun Aug 19 16:06:34 CDT 2001

Good day!

Any time clocal falls out of the modem's termios (say I use cu -l on it)
the wineserver hangs trying to open it, or at least the app hangs, and I
haven't found a way to kill it without killing the wineserver.  Both 16
and 32 bit versions of juno are affected.

I haven't really investigated it very thouroughly, but I wasted a lot of
time restoring backup versions of the app and wine.

Should I look into mickey-mousing the open to avoid the problem, or - is
it really a wineserver problem which I am probably not even marginally
competent to muck with?  I'd be glad to make traces or winedbg output,
but it seems the problem should be easy to duplicate.

Hmmm, setting clocal back on from another terminal unhangs the app.
That is neater than killing the wineserver, I guess.

terminal.exe from wfw 3.11 behaves similarly, with an extra twist:
it hangs on the Win16Mutex until somebody sets clocal (well, I guess
carrier detect would work, too).

[whit at giftie user0001]$ wine terminal.exe
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x400fad6c "syslevel.c:
Win16Mutex" wait timed out, retrying (60 sec) fs=008f
fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np
Console: Making console complex (creating an xterm)...
fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np
fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np
fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np
fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np
Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
xterm:  unable to open font "vga", trying "fixed"....
Failed to open input method
passed master doesn't match slave name
passed master doesn't match slave name
[whit at giftie user0001]$