ReadFile and other issues

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Tue Aug 21 15:12:56 CDT 2001

eric pouech <eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr> writes:

> no, reading of input_records would be sone as it is today, with
> the specific console request 'read_console_input'

OK, we agree then.

> the only thing we'd have to have is another request to get the fd from
> a console input handle (get_handle_fd would no longer work), and we
> still need a (background) mechanism to convert the unix xterm characters
> into INPUT_RECORD (a get_console_fd should do). Anyway, those fd are
> even rather static (they only change on Alloc|Free Console and at
> process startup if we inherit them from parent), so we can savely keep
> them around, process wide

I'm not sure we should be converting xterm input into INPUT_RECORD. It
may be better to have two modes, a simple console that returns an fd
to ReadFile and no input records (and then ReadConsoleInput could
generate them on the fly if necessary), and a complex console that
supports all the features but that doesn't have an associated fd at
all.

IMO the current xterm-based console support is a ugly hack; we should
do a proper Windows console using a normal Wine window with a message
loop to retrieve input events. And usage of stdin/stdout should be
limited to programs that don't need special console features, and
should only support ReadFile/WriteFile.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com