ReadFile and other issues

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Wed Aug 22 11:52:16 CDT 2001

"Eric Pouech"<eric.pouech at voila.fr> writes:

> if we want to go into this, there are a few points to agree on first:
> - since console handles can be inherited, the Wine console window should
> be run in a different process than the one which uses the console (and
> add communication means between the first process, and the process
> rendering the console)
> - how should we know a program needs either a simple or a complex
> console (we could use a registry key in the per process area)

We need a separate process yes. I was thinking of something like a
'wineconsole' Winelib app. Then if you want to run an app with a
separate console you use wineconsole instead of wine to start it.
A new wineconsole could also be launched when the app does an
AllocConsole, or some other function that requires a complex console.

The communication with the console can probably go through the
server. Input events can simply be put in the queue by wineconsole
using WriteConsoleInput. Output should probably go to a server screen
buffer object, which would then signal wineconsole that its contents
changed.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com