ReadFile and other issues

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Thu Aug 23 13:31:46 CDT 2001

eric pouech <eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr> writes:

> anyway, I'd like to get back to simple vs complex consoles if I got
> you right, a simple console handle should be in fact nothing more
> than a regular file handle which unix fd is set to either 0 or 1 it
> means that no enhanced mode is used, nothing but the standard libc
> line editing facilities of the input stream so the use would
> adequate for a simple program that just uses equivalent of puts/gets
> (and associated) functions

Exactly yes.

> however, I find this very limiting for people who want to use a CUI
> exe in a pure unix console mode (either when X11 isn't started, or a
> session done over IP in telnet for example) that's why I was
> wondering if wineconsole shouldn't also support a (n)curse like
> interface (in addition to the USER32 one) to help in this area

Sure, once the architecture is in place we can have different
implementations of wineconsole, including curses support. The
important thing is that this is in a separate application, so that
ReadConsole doesn't need to know about things like xterm escape
sequences.

> last but not least, recent exchanges made a simple < 1kloc patch a more
> serious project of several kloc :-/

I can do the wineserver part if you like.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com