Win XP installation support?

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sun Dec 2 22:23:35 CST 2001

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Hetz Ben-Hamo wrote:

> I thought about that too, but it's not - here is the line from my /etc/fstab
>
> /dev/hda5               /mnt/win                vfat    defaults        0 0
> /dev/hda3               /mnt/dosc               vfat    defaults        0 0

I guess I was wrong.

> Yes, but what about all the registry stuff that the wineinstall does? sure, I
> can point to it, but Won't I damage my actual Windows? (if I use the original
> windows as C:). Also, how do I copy the registery?
>
> BTW: the wine is from today's (pulled from CVS).
>
> Thanks,
> Hetz Ben Hamo

all the registry stuff wineinstall does I have always done by hand.

approximately, (edit <wine>/winedefault.reg so the debug entry has the
unix path to the debugger, normally /usr/local/bin/winedbg (this should
be reachable by a dos drive - I map one to /usr/local/bin)).

cd <wine>/programs/regapi
make
make install
cd ../..
regapi setValue -- -force <winedefault.reg

No, you won't damage the real windose registry.  Wine doesn't write to
that, ever, unless some windows program tells it to.  It writes all its
registry stuff to files in WINEPREFIX (~/.wine).

To copy the registry, export it to a file with regedit.exe, I think, and
feed that to regapi.

cat exported-registry-file | regapi setValue -- -force

Lawson

I will look at wineinstall some more though, - tomorrow.