SHLWAPI pre-submit questions

Jon Griffiths jon_p_griffiths at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 05:12:10 CST 2001

Hi,

I've been hacking on SHLWAPI.dll for a couple of months now while
holidaying around Thailand, using a beaten up laptop. Since I just
obtained free use of a real machine with a good net connection, I
want to start submitting my work but I thought I'd clear up a few
style issues beforehand:

1. Is it OK to give meaningful names to undocumented functions?
e.g. SHLWAPI_1/2 => UrlGetInfoA/W
       SHLWAPI_5/6 => PathFindOnPathExA/W

I want to do this where the names are no-brainers, as in the case
above, and the functions are referenced by the dll internally.

2. Is it OK to sync shlwapi.h with the windows version ?

e.g. Remove undocumented entries
       Remove its dependence on obj_base.h (windows has none)
       Add the function exclusion defines as per windows

I assume this is fine, but doing this causes the next question -

3. How to deal with shared undocumented functions?

e.g. StrRetToBufA/W is used by shell32, but should not defined in
shlwapi.h.

Here there are 4 Choices:
1. Define twice (Ugly)
2. Put into a new wine/undocshlwapi.h (Seems that these are
depreciated?)
3. Define anyway  (Im not a fan of having undoc functions in public
headers)
4. Have shell32 functions #include "../shlwapi/internal.h" (A little
unclean)

I'd like to go for 4, any objections?

I'll start feeding in the new function implementations over the next
little while, once the structure is sorted.

Cheers,
Jon

=====
"Don't wait for the seas to part, or messiahs to come;
 Don't you sit around and waste this chance..." - Live

jon_p_griffiths at yahoo.com