UNC patch

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Dec 7 00:19:01 CST 2001

Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> writes:
>
> > I agree with the other poster that this approach of reading /etc/mtab
> > and looking for smbfs mounts is a complete kludge, but it is definitely
> > the way to go for the near future.
>
> I'm not so sure. If we depend on users having configured drives for
> the smbfs mounts, we might just as well ask them to configure UNC
> paths too, and avoid parsing /etc/mtab. For instance we could simply
> have something like:
>
> [Drive F]
> "Path" = "/mnt/whatever"
> "Server" =

I assume you meant
  "Server" = "foo"

> and then \\foo\x would mean the same thing as f:\x.  This way you can
> also fake network mounts using the local filesystem.

I agree that faking network mounts is a good thing, but
parsing mtab makes for much easier configuration.  Instead of
forcing the user to add a server field, wine can figure it out
itself.  Isn't that a good thing?  Why force the user to enter
in duplicate info?

Dan