MIDL and COM

Ove Kaaven ovehk at ping.uio.no
Fri Dec 7 07:42:21 CST 2001

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> The FreeDCE Project has a DCE IDL compiler which I understand is mostly
> compatible with MIDL.EXE.

Yeah, sure... the same way Samba is compatible with Windows 2000... it is,
they can both speak the SMB protocol, but you can't run Solitaire on
Samba... similarly, MIDL can certainly read FreeDCE IDL files (simply
because MS-RPC was designed to be compatible with the original DCE RPC,
except for several "Microsoft extensions"), but what these two
implementations *do* (generate) with the parsed IDL is very different.
Hence, there's no way we could use FreeDCE's IDL compiler. I thought some
of the earlier discussion already mentioned that?