UNC patch

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Dec 7 23:34:29 CST 2001

lawson_whitney at juno.com wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Dan Kegel wrote:
>
> > Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> >
> > > and then \\foo\x would mean the same thing as f:\x.  This way you can
> > > also fake network mounts using the local filesystem.
> >
> > I agree that faking network mounts is a good thing, but
> > parsing mtab makes for much easier configuration.  Instead of
> > forcing the user to add a server field, wine can figure it out
> > itself.  Isn't that a good thing?  Why force the user to enter
> > in duplicate info?
> >
> Why force the users to use samba to simulate UNC?  Has Wine really any
> business to go crawling through mtab looking for resources it can make
> available to windows programs?

Until Wine has smbclient code linked into it, and a way to set up
persistant network drive mappings, I'm afraid there is no other choice.

> Wineinstall can do this if it likes, and
> generate [Drive X] with "Server" =, and the Wine Administrator can
> change them if _it_ likes.

Unfortunately, this is something users should be able to do at any
time, not just at install time.

> I am more comfortable to believe Wine will only mess where I tell it it
> can mess.

Fine, you can turn the feature off.  Note that you'd be silly to do so,
since the feature I'm proposing only looks at directories already
available to Wine programs, and would thus have very little chance of
causing trouble.

> What IS UNC, anyway?  :-/

On the off chance you're serious, UNC stands for Universal Naming Convention,
and it means the \\host\share\foo style of filenames one can use to
avoid using network drive letters.

- Dan