Getting Started

Oliver Sampson olsam at quickaudio.com
Sat Dec 8 09:33:53 CST 2001

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001 14:40:17 +0100, Andreas Mohr
<andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de> wrote:

>On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 01:20:53PM +0100, Oliver Sampson wrote:
>> On Fri, 7 Dec 2001 18:31:03 +0100, Andreas Mohr
>> <andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de> wrote:

>> >Make sure /etc/ld.so.conf contains the path.
>> >See www.winehq.com/Trouble/ for details.
>>
>> I went to the modifyable FAQ and saw an entry for libntdll.so, but I
>> didn't see any assistance to the problem.  Is this a hint for me to
>> add an answer for when I get this resolved?
>Err, yes ;-)

I thought so.  No problem--I'll take care of it when I solve this.
However.....

>> I checked out my /etc/ld.so.conf and /usr/lib is listed in there.
>> libntdll.so is in my /usr/lib, but when ever I run wine from what I've
>> made, I get the message that libntdll.so can't be found:
>>
>> wine: error while loading shared libraries: libntdll.so: cannot open
>> shared object file: No such file or directory
>Hmm, and you did run ldconfig ?

Umm. no.  Not explicitly, but I noticed that it's the last thing
called during the 'make install'.  When I run it (as root, of course)
it returns no errors, leading me to believe all is okay.

However, I'm still getting the libntdll error.

Let's assume that I know nothing and I've read the wine web page
enough to download a cvs image.

After I update my directory, it's a matter of
autoconf
./configure
make depend
make
make install.

Is there anything missing in that sequence of steps?  Afterwards, I
should be able to type 'wine ...' and be on my way, right?

Also interesting, but every so slightly possibly could be related is
that even though I'm using the Dec 3 cvs update, (for the rpm that I
can get to run) when I type wine --version, it gives me 200011108,
which was the original wine package I had installed.  Even though I
removed it (rpm -e) something from it appears to be remaining.

Oliver Sampson
olsam at quickaudio.com
http://www.oliversampson.com