Getting Started

Rein Klazes rklazes at xs4all.nl
Sat Dec 8 09:59:19 CST 2001

On Sat, 08 Dec 2001 16:33:53 +0100, you wrote:

> >> I checked out my /etc/ld.so.conf and /usr/lib is listed in there.
> >> libntdll.so is in my /usr/lib, but when ever I run wine from what I've
> >> made, I get the message that libntdll.so can't be found:
> >>
> >> wine: error while loading shared libraries: libntdll.so: cannot open
> >> shared object file: No such file or directory
> >Hmm, and you did run ldconfig ?
>
> Umm. no.  Not explicitly, but I noticed that it's the last thing
> called during the 'make install'.  When I run it (as root, of course)
> it returns no errors, leading me to believe all is okay.
>
> However, I'm still getting the libntdll error.
>
> Let's assume that I know nothing and I've read the wine web page
> enough to download a cvs image.
>
> After I update my directory, it's a matter of
> autoconf
> ./configure
> make depend
> make
> make install.
>
> Is there anything missing in that sequence of steps?  Afterwards, I
> should be able to type 'wine ...' and be on my way, right?

You are doing a standard wine install. This installs the wine
executables in /usr/local/bin and the libs in /usr/local/lib
(do a ./configure --help to see how those can be changed).

That means that you must have:

- either /usr/local/lib configured in /etc/ld.so.conf or it is
specified in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
- /usr/local/bin must be part of the PATH.
- wine executables in /usr/bin and /usr/lib are part of another wine
install, probably the one from the rpm. It is best to remove them.

> Also interesting, but every so slightly possibly could be related is
> that even though I'm using the Dec 3 cvs update, (for the rpm that I
> can get to run) when I type wine --version, it gives me 200011108,
> which was the original wine package I had installed.  Even though I
> removed it (rpm -e) something from it appears to be remaining.

That is normal. --version is not updated between the offcial
snapshots.

Rein.
--
Rein Klazes