extracting shares from mtab

Robert Lunnon bob at yarrabee.net.au
Mon Dec 10 05:09:38 CST 2001

 Mon, 10 Dec 2001 00:06, you wrote:
> Message: 6
> Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 18:38:57 -0500
> From: Gavriel State <gav at transgaming.com>
> To: Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.com>
> CC: Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com>, Eric Pouech <eric.pouech at voila.fr>,
>         Stefan.Leichter at camLine.com, wine-devel at winehq.com
> Subject: Re: UNC patch & parsing fstab/mtab
>
> Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> > > much code.  I'd be happy to provide a nice OO wrapper object
> > > for it if that would make you happier.  It would then no
> > > longer be an ugly hack.  Would that satisfy you?  Or are
> > > you fundamentally opposed to it for some other reason than
> > > code clarity?
>> > Code clarity is one thing (it should be probably using getmntent and
> > friends), performance is another (parsing /etc/mtab on each CreateFile
> > is *not* a good idea), but mainly I'm opposed to the concept of
> > configuring everything by hand except magically getting smb shares
> > through /etc/mtab, when they may not at all reflect what you want the
> > Windows application to see. It doesn't fit in the current
> > configuration philosophy. Now of course the config philosophy can be
> > changed, but it must remain coherent.
>
> I don't doubt that we don't want to be parsing /etc/mtab on each
> CreateFile, but I will put in a word for some modifications to the
> configuration philosophy when it comes to drive letters.
>
> One of the problems we've come across recently is this: for games that
> use copy protection, we need to have direct access to the device that
> a CD-ROM drive uses.  For the moment, this relys on the user to manually
> configure their drive letters.  From what we've seen, doing so is
> beyond the ken of many of our users.
>
> As such, we've put together a scheme for parsing /etc/fstab on startup
> (not mtab: the drive may not be mounted), and automatically adding
> drive letters for each iso9660 filesystem listed.  The patch (to the
> WineX tree) is here:
>
> http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/9376/2001/11/0/7204310/
>
> We're happy to contribute this in our next outward merge if people
> think it's useful.
>
>  -Gav

Oh no not again

Except for us poor people that dont use linux !

On Solaris fstab is vfstab, and mtab is mnttab, parsing these files is no
good unless it is done in some portable way. (Not that smbfs even works on
Solaris)  I would think that persistent share selection should be saved in
the registry and accessed through smbclient rather than smbfs, then smb
shares would work for all OSs supporting Samba, not just those supporting
smbfs.

IMHO There are already too many linux centrix assumptions in wine, please,
lets not add any more .

Bob