Wine, Office, and the antitrust settlement

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Mon Dec 10 10:50:43 CST 2001

> Also, if I'm not mistaken, Office 2K uses heavily MSIE infrastructure, and
> MSIE still cannot be even installed on wine (without windows), so I suspect
> it's a ton of work to do.

    This is an excellent and important point.  Office depends on IE,
but with Office XP, you can no longer legitimately install IE
on Linux (the license for IE requires a valid MS license).  Hence,
Wine/Linux would be required to provide a full IE replacement in
order to get Office XP to run...

    You have the same problem with DirectX games (although
Transgaming has more or less solved this one), and with
Windows Media Player.

    Jer