Wine, Office, and the antitrust settlement

Hetz Ben-Hamo hetz at kde.org
Mon Dec 10 11:05:31 CST 2001

>     You have the same problem with DirectX games (although
> Transgaming has more or less solved this one), and with
> Windows Media Player.

I actually checked that 2 minutes ago when I read your mail. I called a
friend of mine (who owes me some favours) to check the WIndows media issue..
(I asked him that 2 days ago)

He checked it a bit and it seems that there are few holes in this license
agreement, so you have 2 options:

1. You can put Windows media player for free download with a note that a user
needs to have MS Windows, but *it doesn't have to be installed* on the
machine. This solution could cover 99% of potential Wine users (or CrossOver
plugin users/clients) since almost all the workstations machines are being
sold with Windows.

2. A second solution is to give it to an IP lawyer who can dig the holes
quite quickly and can give you a statement if you could just put it for
download without any notes for end-users.

I hardly think that MS will do any problem to CodeWeavers if you guys decide
to support it. After all - for them it's just means more clients are using
WMP to watch video/listen to audio and a better selling point of their
servers..

--
Hetz Ben Hamo
hetz at kde.org