Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Mon Dec 10 12:49:28 CST 2001

Gavriel State <gav at transgaming.com> writes:

> There are several factors to that equation, and I'm afraid we don't have
> a firm ETA yet.

Well, this worries me. It sounds like you are planning to do the same
thing you did with your DirectX stuff: by making the code available on
your site, and promising to release it at some hypothetical future
date, you remove all incentive for other people to spend time
improving the main Wine, thus ensuring that it always lacks some
features. I don't like this at all.

If you can't/don't want to release your code, I'd strongly suggest
that you reconsider your strategy of making it publicly available. If
it was only available to paying customers, there would at least be a
reason for other people to work on a free implementation. But if
everybody who needs some feature in Wine can simply download WineX
instead, no one will spend time re-implementing that feature. This is
beginning to seriously hurt the project, and we need to find a way to
address this issue.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com