Wine, Office, and the antitrust settlement

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Mon Dec 10 13:51:43 CST 2001

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 05:54:41PM +0100, Patrik Stridvall wrote:
> > 2. Is it true that Office uses undocumented Windows APIs?
> > If so, how many?  Are they a significant part of the
> > challenge of supporting Office?
>
> Yes. But I don't rember which ones right know but there are
> quite a lot of undocumented API calls used by a lot of
> different programs.
>
> Perhaps somebody else on the list can be more specific.
Well, I'd say SETUPAPI/SETUPX and SHLWAPI are certainly everything but
documented...
There do exist some header file defines for some stuff, but that's about it.
My guess is that we could come up with a list of at least 10 DLLs that are
rather badly documented (some even with some malicious intent, I'd say).
OTOH I'm not sure whether we should try to play some role in that settlement.
After all we're probably not too visible to Microsoft right now, and we're
coming along rather nicely.
Which would probably change rather fast once we make our public voice get
heard...

We really should make up our mind NOW on whether we want to take part or not,
though.

Tel. +49 7159 800604                http://home.nexgo.de/andi.mohr/