Getting Started

David Elliott dfe at tgwbd.org
Mon Dec 10 15:30:04 CST 2001

On 2001.12.09 17:15 Oliver Sampson wrote:
[SNIP]

> <ot>
> Why is the default behavior for the list to have replies go only to
> the sender and not to the list?
> </ot>

Because that would be ridiculous.  The only way to really accomplish that
is to add a Reply-To which means that it then becomes impossible to easily
reply directly to the author.

If you don't add it then all you need to do is hit "Reply All" which will
cause it to send it To: the original author, and Cc: it to the list.

So assuming you have your mail filters setup such that mail which went
through the list goes into the wine-devel mailbox and other mail is
processed as usual then you will get two copies: one directly to you in
your inbox and one in the list.  Personally I prefer this because I can
then reply directly to any pertinent things before I go reading the rest
of the list.

Like this:

MAILDIR=$HOME/mail/incoming

:0:wine/announce.lock
* ^Sender:.*wine-announce-admin at winehq.com
wine/announce

:0:wine/cvs.lock
* ^Sender:.*wine-cvs-admin at winehq.com
wine/cvs

:0:wine/devel.lock
* ^Sender:.*wine-devel-admin at winehq.com
wine/devel

:0:wine/patches.lock
* ^Sender:.*wine-patches-admin at winehq.com
wine/patches

That is part of my .procmailrc file which will filter on the sender line
(mail that has gone through the list servers).  Note that I do not filter
on To or CC line as is stated on the website because then anyone who sent
mail directly to me but also cced it to the list, well, it goes into the
list, which defeats the whole benefit of getting two copies of the mail.

Hmm, come to think of it, maybe someone should put those lines up on the
WineHQ website as an alternative method, or in place of the current
method.  IIRC the website is in CVS, would someone want me to send a patch
for this?

-Dave