Getting Started

Oliver Sampson olsam at quickaudio.com
Mon Dec 10 15:57:55 CST 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:30:04 -0500, David Elliott <dfe at tgwbd.org>
wrote:

>On 2001.12.09 17:15 Oliver Sampson wrote:
>[SNIP]
>
>> <ot>
>> Why is the default behavior for the list to have replies go only to
>> the sender and not to the list?
>> </ot>
>>
>Because that would be ridiculous.  The only way to really accomplish that
>is to add a Reply-To which means that it then becomes impossible to easily
>reply directly to the author.

Well, it's not rediculous.  And it's not rediculous when you consider
that *every other* list (save one) to which I'm subscribed has the
list as the default reply-to.  The assumption is that if it's
important enough to be asked in public, then the answer should be
public also.  Why should the assumed answer be private?  I'm in a
habit of replying to mail, not replying-all to mail, and when I reply
to mail on this list, I find that I end up sending it twice.  (My
assumption is that I'm a typical listserv subscriber.) Rarely, do I
want to send an email off-list.  Do you (and the majority of the
members here) send so many off-list emails in response to on-list
emails that having the default reply-to for the list, not be the list
itself?

Hey, it was just a question.

>If you don't add it then all you need to do is hit "Reply All" which will
>cause it to send it To: the original author, and Cc: it to the list.
>
>So assuming you have your mail filters setup such that mail which went
>through the list goes into the wine-devel mailbox and other mail is
>processed as usual then you will get two copies: one directly to you in
>your inbox and one in the list.  Personally I prefer this because I can
>then reply directly to any pertinent things before I go reading the rest
>of the list.
>
>Like this:
>
>MAILDIR=$HOME/mail/incoming
>
>:0:wine/announce.lock
>* ^Sender:.*wine-announce-admin at winehq.com
>wine/announce
>
>:0:wine/cvs.lock
>* ^Sender:.*wine-cvs-admin at winehq.com
>wine/cvs
>
>:0:wine/devel.lock
>* ^Sender:.*wine-devel-admin at winehq.com
>wine/devel
>
>:0:wine/patches.lock
>* ^Sender:.*wine-patches-admin at winehq.com
>wine/patches
>
>That is part of my .procmailrc file which will filter on the sender line
>(mail that has gone through the list servers).  Note that I do not filter
>on To or CC line as is stated on the website because then anyone who sent
>mail directly to me but also cced it to the list, well, it goes into the
>list, which defeats the whole benefit of getting two copies of the mail.
>
>Hmm, come to think of it, maybe someone should put those lines up on the
>WineHQ website as an alternative method, or in place of the current
>method.  IIRC the website is in CVS, would someone want me to send a patch
>for this?
>
>-Dave

I find filtering on the List-Id: field to be the most accurate and
unambiguous.

Oliver

Oliver Sampson
olsam at quickaudio.com