Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

Bill Medland medbi01_1 at accpac.com
Thu Dec 13 16:51:51 CST 2001

"Alexandre Julliard" <julliard at winehq.com> wrote in message
news:874rmvggpn.fsf at mail.wine.dyndns.org...
> Patrik Stridvall <ps at leissner.se> writes:
>
> > In short:
> > Should the Wine project wait until you release or should it not?
>
> That's certainly a question we have to think about, but I think there
> is a deeper issue: should we continue to release under a license that
> allows people to use our own code to hurt the project?
>
> My concern is not so much about Transgaming, I trust that Gav means to
> do the right thing, even if I don't entirely agree with his methods.
> But I'm worried that if Transgaming succeeds, it will set a precedent
> that others will follow, who may have no desire at all to do the right
> thing for Wine. What will happen if 5 different dlls are improved and
> released by 5 different companies under 5 different non-free licenses?

It's been quite fascinating watching this discussion; it's nice to see that
such issues are covered.  It raises two issues for me:
1. Where does Lindows fit into all this?  Does anyone know what's happening
there?
2. Is the current wine license as loose as it appears to me?  My
understanding is that "the license" is the file "LICENSE" at the root of the
cvs tree and basically allows anyone to do anything with it provided they
keep the license in there (and respect copyright).  I keep seeing quotes and
things that suggest wine is under GPL, LGPL, BSD etc.; I presume that they
are simple ill-informed.

Bill