Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

David Elliott dfe at tgwbd.org
Thu Dec 13 19:44:26 CST 2001

On 2001.12.13 12:41 Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Patrik Stridvall <ps at leissner.se> writes:
>
> > In short:
> > Should the Wine project wait until you release or should it not?
>
> That's certainly a question we have to think about, but I think there
> is a deeper issue: should we continue to release under a license that
> allows people to use our own code to hurt the project?

Umm, do I sense a little Deja Vu here.  IIRC Wine's original license had
some issues that meant it wasn't GPL compatible.  The new license, which I
understand is a modified BSD or an X11 license, basically says do whatever
you want with it.

LGPL would have been ideal except several people pointed out that because
it disallows static linking it would be unsuitable for systems without a
dynamic linker (e.g. embedded systems).

In hindsight maybe we should have gone with LGPL with exceptions to allow
static linking like some other projects have recently done.

Although I remember something about if you are going to allow static
linking you might as well allow people to do what they will with the code
because if you can statically link it you pretty much can do what you will
with the code.

> My concern is not so much about Transgaming, I trust that Gav means to
> do the right thing, even if I don't entirely agree with his methods.
> But I'm worried that if Transgaming succeeds, it will set a precedent
> that others will follow, who may have no desire at all to do the right
> thing for Wine. What will happen if 5 different dlls are improved and
> released by 5 different companies under 5 different non-free licenses?

This is so true.  Of course now that the cat is out of the bag maybe a
more pertinent question is what happens if we make new code LGPL or some
such?  Do we still have companies using Wine code but using the older
versions under the X11 license?  Then we'd really have a mess.

Would dual-licensing under LGPL and original BSD make sense?  That way
other open source projects could use the code, but closed source projects
would have to put in advertising for Wine.  Of course really, what is the
difference.  Is anyone going to care that e.g. Lindows uses Wine.

Honestly I don't know what to say.  On the one hand you have the FSF
licenses geared towards promoting free software development.  On the other
hand you have the current license geared towards allowing everyone to use
the code for whatever.  Wine is a reimplementation of an existing API.  Do
we really want to send the message that in order to use the wine code your
program must be free software?  Or would we rather stick with the current
situation that we'd rather have you using our code than Microsoft's?

I cannot come up with a reasonable choice here.  Either way has
drawbacks.  We've been through this before and went with the X11 license.
Maybe it's time to rethink that decision... maybe not.  All I can say is
that I for one would like to know how current developers stand on this
issue.  Has anyone's thoughts/opinions changed significantly?

-Dave