Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Dec 14 00:30:07 CST 2001

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, John Alvord wrote:
[...]
> >What do others think?
>
> One possible trap to getting toward a GPL. If I remember right, the
> last time, you had to get consensus. If "pseudo-open-source" company
> had contributed code, you would need their permission and they don't
> have to agree.

   Just honestly asking the question: are you sure about that?

   As I see it, Transgaming took the Wine source, called it WineX and
released it under the APFL (it's the APFL right? doesn't really matter).

   So what prevents someone else from taking Wine, call it Vino and
release it under the GPL?

   My current understanding is that the legality of such a move depends
on the license you start from and that the current Wine license would
allow it:

   Permission is hereby granted ... to ... sublicense ...

   After all we know Wine can be used as the basis of proprietary
products so it seems like you should be able to re-release it under the
GPL. The only restriction I see is that:

   The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
   included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

   Now what such permissions mean once you tack on the GPL or a
proprietary license, I'm not sure. As far as I can tell, they would be
pretty hollow.

                            1 + e ^ ( i * pi ) = 0