Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

J.Brown (Ender/Amigo) ender at enderboi.com
Fri Dec 14 01:00:18 CST 2001

>    Now what such permissions mean once you tack on the GPL or a
> proprietary license, I'm not sure. As far as I can tell, they would be
> pretty hollow.

The LGPL does not grant the right of re-licence LGPL components. However,
as a license it does not prohibit sublicensing - nor can it, as the
primary license is that of the main program a LGPL component is used in.

Remember that the LGPL was written for libraries, to allow code which is
fundementally GPL to be linked to propritery licenses.

In the definition of sublicencing, technically from a legal point even
transgaming are not allowed to newt the fundemental sublicencing right
of the Wine code (as they do, in the AFPL). They can remove the
sublicencing right on their own code, however, as that belongs under
different copyright.

This is all conjecture, of course, and I deny being any kind of legal
expert, only someone who has been involved in court-cases over this kind
of thing in the past. I'm sure transgaming is only attempting to protect
their own IP rights.

 - Ender