Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Sat Dec 15 05:56:46 CST 2001

> Patrik Stridvall <ps at leissner.se> writes:
>
> > Therefore I'm happy to leave things like DirectX to companies like
> > Transgaming for the time being since people that wants to play games
> > are more likely to be happy with the way they can support
> Transgaming
> > ie paying a monthly fee.
>
> Then I guess you are also happy to leave OLE support to company Foo,
> and networking support to company Bar, and multimedia support, common
> controls, etc. to yet other companies. After all, people who need
> these features would be happy to support these companies, right?

Not always no, but that is a choice primarily for them.

It depend on their priorties. I think Transgaming business model
makes sense for a lot of gamers.

However I don't think people using for example networking would like
their buisness model and they are much more likely to support the
core Wine project.

> As
> long as the free version of Wine runs Solitaire we don't need anything
> else, right?

There is no need to sarcastic.

> Or is it different because the applications *you* care
> about need these features but not DirectX?

Not, primarily no. It is because I don't believe this
is what will make or break Wine in the long run.

> > Using your strict interpretion of the LPGL it will
> significantly increase
> > the cost of entry to the market, thus requiring higher risk
> of entering
> > the market, even with a basicly sound business model.
>
> No, IMO it will lower the cost of entry, because more code will be
> available. So if you want to make money with Wine you won't need to
> first buy all the pieces you need from the various companies that hold
> them proprietary. Transgaming could probably never have entered the
> market if all the development that was done before them had not been
> released as free software.
>
> > > Well, I strongly disagree. Wine is supposed to be a free
> > > implementation of Windows; if making it successful
> requires making it
> > > non-free, we might as well stop right now.
> >
> > "He who defend everything, defends nothing"
> >
> > Need I say more?
>
> What do you suggest defending then?  Nothing?  The ability to run only
> your favorite application?  I still don't understand your position,
> and I can't say you seem to really understand it yourself.

We should aim at ("try to defend") trying to get much resources
(read: developers) as possible to work Wine and we thus should
aim for productivity applications because that there the resources
of the world are.

Then we can try to reclaim the nices that companies like Transgaming
has tried to reclaim.