Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Sun Dec 16 16:20:00 CST 2001

Gerard Patel <gerard.patel at nerim.net> writes:

> Transgaming is playing by the existing rules, the rules you
> have enforced for a long time. If they are hurting you, that's
> surprising. They are not hurting me, since I have accepted
> your rules. What you are planning will hurt Transgaming
> business plan, by spreading Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt
> in their business discussions with potential customers.
> Business plan that they did and implemented in good faith,
> perfectly conforming to your rules and expecting their
> stability.

Well, this sounds like an argument for the LGPL. There is absolutely
no guarantee of stability with the X11 license; anybody can start a
Wine tree under another license, and if developers think this is a
good idea there is nothing I or anybody else can do to prevent it.
It's simply part of the existing rules that the rules can change.

> I'd have no objection to Gpl *if* people having invested
> money in Wine success accept the move without problem.
> I think you should feel more responsibility towards people
> investing in Wine, not only responsibility towards the
> project - in other words you, because you are the Wine
> project.

You know, that's exactly why we are having this discussion. If I was
as selfish as you seem to think, I could change the license today
without asking anybody. I'm not doing it precisely because I *do* care
what people think, and I won't make the change unless it is acceptable
to at least a large majority of the people affected by the change (and
yes that includes Transgaming).

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com