Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

lee lee at imyourhandiman.com
Sun Dec 16 20:59:38 CST 2001

> That means that if we had been LGPL and they wanted to keep Install Shield
> stuff proprietary then they would have had to reimplement everything or at
> least a good portion of what you did.  However they would not have been
> required to have implemented the whole DLL, just the parts that they want
> to replace with their proprietary versions.  They can also mix and match.
> For example, for some functions they could release a patch back to wine.
> But for functions which they rewrote completely they could under the LGPL
> distribute it binary only.  This is still better than the current
> situation where they can do whatever the hell they want.  That is all I am
> saying.

     I believe, at least from a laymans perspective just having gone
through 60 + messages that the above statement makes alot of sense from
several angles......it seems to make sense because then what ,-everyone
is 'compensated' yes ? , ie: everyone can live with it and to those that
abuse it...'live with yourself' to whatever end that suits you.

     I am here because of 'linux' and its open-source model/comradry.  I
am not here to run ( no dis-respect meant whatsoever to various software
models that have been mandatory for some business's ) something that
requires me to install a M$ product as a workaround,- but then again I
have that option not having huge requirements as a basic end-user/sm
business.

     It is all fairly complex and I do 'not' pretend to understand all
the various pro/cons but whatever is done I'd hope its in the best
interest of wine/linux as without which, I'd not be as productive as I
am.

lee
-====