Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Mon Dec 17 13:26:20 CST 2001

> Patrik Stridvall <ps at leissner.se> writes:
>
> > There will be very little reason for companies to enter the market
> > at that time and why try to make it difficult for the few
> that might.
>
> On the contrary, there will be a lot more reasons. The main market is
> not in developing Wine; frankly there isn't that much money to be made
> on that. The main market is in using Wine to make money on
> applications, and the more complete Wine gets the easier this will be.

If the applications is are already proprietary I they can affort to
pay to get the whole way to 100% functionallity.

If they are open source they have an incentitive to work making Wine
complete.

I don't really see the problem.

> But if Wine never gets complete because some parts are held
> proprietary by other companies, it won't be possible to enter that
> market.

So you mean that all the people that are current voluntering
to work of Wine won't work on Wine if it is almost complete
just because somebody else have done the parts they need
to run their applications and that they will happily pay for
the right to use it.

In that case it would be disasterous to make Wine run
all Microsoft implemented non-core Wine DLL:s because
then everybody would just be happy to use the Microsoft
DLL:s and nothing beyond non-core would ever be
implemented.

You can't seriously believe this?