Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

Roger Fujii rmf at lookhere.com
Tue Dec 18 05:34:29 CST 2001

Geoff Thorpe wrote:

> However, if I might wax extreme for a moment, my out-there suggestion would
> be to stick with a BSD style license but to put an advertising clause *in*.

The problem with this is that it would make it incompatible with *GPLed
components as an ad clause conflicts with an Open Source definition.

> The rest of the suggestion I would like to make may seem somewhat
> surprising; dual license this BSD+adv-clause with the GPL. Not LGPL, but
> GPL. GPL is an enormous hunk of trouble I know, but under a dual license
> you're only bound by it if you choose to use it instead of the alternative.
> The GPL would then exist as an alternative for those who can not work with
> the BSD (and/or the advertising) clauses - eg. some of those GPL and LGPL
> projects that have a "no additional restrictions" viral element. If they
> don't like BSD/adv-clause, they could always go with GPL but would then be
> stuck with the *ultimate* counter-balance, they have to open up

But most apps wine will run *cannot* use a GPLed component.  GPL expressly
forbids being linked to a nonGPLed component.  *GPL does not only cover the
source, but rather the USE of the components as well.  Read the
license.  It's quite an eye opener.

-r
--
Roger Fujii <rmf at lookhere.com>
Underemployed, and trying to keep it that way....