Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Tue Dec 18 12:18:16 CST 2001

> >> MS Word (to use an example) might have to dynamically link in
> >> a special MS Word component to process specifics in my
> >> document, it doesn't mean my document is "linked" with the
> >> MS Word component does it?
> >
> > Ah, you are beginning to see the problem. :-)
>
> What problem? A GPL program is the same as any other - GPL
> protects the
> code, not the use of said code.

Indeed. It is a not a use license.

However because of the doctrine of derived work that GPL depends
upon, some use (read: linking) are considered derivation and thus
a possible violation of the GPL.

> There's nothing to stop a
> GPLed program
> such as, say an amiga emulator (UAE) running the emulated non-free
> software. As geoffs example rightly points out.

You think (read: hope) that it is not so because it would be quite
absurd wouldn't it?

However if the doctrine of derived work is strong enough to prevent
want the GPL hopes it will prevent namely linking, I see no reason
to assume that emulation would be considered differently. After all
from a technical point of view essentially that same things that
happends.

> And in any case, we are talking about the LGPL - a totally different
> matter.

Not entirely whatever power the LGPL have also derives from the
doctrine of derived works eventhough is doesn't try to use it
to the extent that the GPL does.

> Which is my response to Rogers comment above - sure the GPL
> prohibits linking with a nonfree component.

Yes, but what is linking?

Don't you understand it is the vagueness of linking that is the problem.
This is further made worse by that fact that the doctrine of derived
might possible, and are very like to do, at least to some extent,
place some kind of limit on what linking legal extends to.

> That 'closes' the
> source and
> provides far too many ways to cheat the license.
>
> The LGPL allows dynamic linking with a nonfree component.
> Remebering that
> the LGPL is meant to apply to LIBRARIES (hence allowing a
> libssh library
> to use nonfree crypto routines for example) not for an application.

You can cheat with both the GPL and the LGPL at I have tried to
illustrate in earlier mails, but the LGPL at least as applied to Wine
is a gaping hole, that hardly provides any protection at all.