Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at cs.toronto.edu
Tue Dec 18 23:07:39 CST 2001

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Patrik Stridvall wrote:

> > Note that I said "_small_ improvements" because of the
> > modular nature of Wine. If the improvements are big, the DLL
> > separation would allow them to keep those changes proprietary.
>
> I don't think small improvements is a problem anyway and
> beginning an implementation of say DCOM is probaly not a
> small improvement and DirectX certainly isn't.

But if it's not, it's within a small constant factor to replace the rest
with prorietary code and not release anything. See, if the DLL is mostly
implemented, the changes are not that big, so they should be contributed
back. If the DLL is mostly stubs, just rewrite the entire thing, you're
not wasting that much effort in the first place, and you can choose
whatever licence you want. DirectX and DCOM fall in this cathegory.

> > I fail to see _any_ moral/ethical/philosophical problem with
> > this. Do you?
>
> Perhaps you have been more enlightend now.

Focusing on obscure issues only is anything but enlightening. :)

--
Dimi.