Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Dec 19 01:15:56 CST 2001

Patrik Stridvall wrote:
> > Which is my response to Rogers comment above - sure the GPL
> > prohibits linking with a nonfree component.
>
> Yes, but what is linking?
>
> Don't you understand it is the vagueness of linking that is the problem.

I don't think it's vague.  We can define it quite well.  If bytes derived
from object A end up in the same file as bytes from object B, they
are statically linked.  If they are in separate files, but one calls the
other via a function call in the same process, they are dynamically linked.
If they are in separate files, and one calls the other via a function call
that crosses process boundaries (i.e. uses a remote procedure call protocol),
there is no linking, at least not by current standards (and I bet this
will not change).

Header files for LGPL'd works are interesting; if they contain macros
or inline functions, those need to be provided under a more liberal
license, otherwise they would fit the definition of static linking.

Patrick just doesn't like the goals of the LGPL, I think.

- Dan