Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Wed Dec 19 05:43:34 CST 2001

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Patrik Stridvall wrote:
>
> > The problem is the doctrine of derived works. Nothing else.
>
> And to you truly believe that our choice for Wine's license
> will have any
> influence over the doctrine of derived works?

Of course not. But it _will_ effect our abillity to attract companies.

Eventually I think the courts, possibly with the help of the politicians
will realize that only a very weak doctrine of derived work could every
service society without introduces needless uncertainties and/or
absurdities.

For example I think that some cases where the doctrine of derived work
has been used like IIRC in some case considering unauthorised Star Trek
books.
Using the Star Trek characters in a book without Paramounts(?)
permission, would be much better served using trademark law instead.
This might or might not require changing trademark law but that is
a different issue.

Don't expect it to happend soon though.

> If not, there
> really is no
> point in discussing this any further. If yes, than even more
> so should we
> chose the LGPL, as it will help settle the debate the right way.

See reply in previous mail.