Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Thu Dec 20 11:59:25 CST 2001

> Patrik Stridvall <ps at leissner.se> writes:
>
> > But why should I do that?
> > I can for example write a script that download Wine for the
> end user user
> > and apply the patch automatically.
>
> The patch would be considered a derivative work, so distributing it
> would also violate the LGPL.

That again is dependent of the doctrine of derived work have any
meaning since the patch is written by me and only contains my work.

Just because you build upon somebody else work doesn't mean it is
a derivation.

Anyway since it denies my right to speech it must be constitional
within the context of the first amendment which is IMHO very unlikely
that a strong doctrine of derived work is. The copyright clause exception
only reserves only gives congress the right to give exclusive rights to
_their_ work not to the work of others (read: me).

Note by patch I do not nessarily mean a patch like (diff -u) that contains
the (LGPL:ed) context of the patch. An "ed-script" or whatever
similar will do.

Anyway the LGPL:ed context of a (diff -u) patch might very well be
consider fair use so that might not be relevant.