Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

Gavriels State gav at transgaming.com
Thu Dec 20 20:43:16 CST 2001

Francois Gouget wrote:
>    I see exactly what you mean. You mean a binary patch that says
> things like:
>  * delete bytes 2294 to 2297
>  * replace bytes 38455 to 39345 with "...."
>  * insert "...." at offset 41753
>
>    Such a patch is very specific to a given source version but does not
> include any of the original source.
>
>    Well, if you can legally use such a patch to work-around the LGPL
> license, then you can use it to get past *any* license: GPL, AFPL, MS
> shared-source, .... whatever. And this is not only true of source files,
> this is also true of binary files: you can apply such a patch to
> executables, libraries, mp3s, mpegs, ...

At Corel, we investigated this issue with respect to redistributing a
patch to MFC to get it building under Wine (at the time it didn't).  The
MFC license did not allow redistribution of MFC source code.

The lawyer's opinion was that a patch of this sort was perfectly legitimate.

 -Gav

--
Gavriel State, CEO
TransGaming Technologies Inc.