Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Fri Dec 21 05:49:29 CST 2001

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Patrik Stridvall wrote:
>
> > No, its not irrelevant because it will effect the advise the company
> > lawyers give their clients.
>
> But know you are inconsistent with yourself. You've been
> claiming that it
> is the very spirit of the LGPL that would scare companies
> away, and I can
> see some merit to that idea.

No, I have been say that the _means_ to implement the spirit of
LGPL might scare away companies.

> You've also been claiming that
> the LGPL may
> not be enforceable, thus in mathematical terms,
>    the expected value of the LGPL < the intended meaning of the LGPL
> it follow directly, that the more you are right, the less negative the
> advise of the lawyers.

Only if lawyers have certain mathematical properties, which they
certainly do not have. Actual most functions don't have such
properties either.

> So, if you 100% right, the LGPL would become BSD, and the
> lawyers would
> give the same advise, as for the BSD. If you are 100% wrong,
> then we do
> get the full protection of the LGPL, and we're happy.
> Anything in between
> is a linear combination of the two. In any case, there really
> is no point
> about bitching the doctrine of derived work. QED.

LGPL can only be BSD if the doctrine of derived work is very weak,
so it does have something to do with that.

> In fact, choosing the LGPL is a very nice way of hedging our
> bets agains
> future changes in copyright law. And this is so because of
> the negative
> feedback loop that the LGPL introduces agains the copyright
> law. Brilliant.

Now you are contradicting your self. You said earlier IIRC
something about that you shouldn't believe that the license Wine
chooses effect copyright law.