Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Fri Dec 21 06:00:13 CST 2001

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Patrik Stridvall wrote:
>
> > Does it nessararily follow that you wish to accept any means to
> > achieve this? Including, say, to be really extreme:
> > "Nuke the middle east, then it will be peace there"
> > and after enough nukes it probably WILL be peace,
> > so it would be entire in line with peace on earth. Right?
>
> Patrik, if you think licensing software under the LGPL is
> equivalent to
> nuking the middle east out of existence, you need to take a _deep_
> breath, drink some cold water, and stay away from those pills.
>
> Since we're here, this is the type of attitude that really
> destroys the
> credibility of much of your arguments.

It was purposely extreme to illustrate that you can fullfill
the spirit of something good with very bad results.

There are many thing that are important in the world not just one,
so it was just a reaction of your persistance that the spirit of
something is the only thing that matters.

> I mean, exagerations
> of the form:
> 'LGPL gives you nothing, it's a pile of crap' despite the
> enormous effort
> put in it by various lawyers and law professors from reputable
> universities, will not buy you many friends. Do you really
> think that the
> entire law establishment in the US has all gone mad and can't see the
> 'Gapping Hole' in the LGPL, and you were the chosen one to see it?

I'm sure they all have worked very hard, however as in the extreme example
above, all means to achieve something is not nessarily good, if seen as
a whole.

The meant this time is the doctrine of derived work, which since it is
one of the few means they got it was naturely the choice.

However, a to strong doctrine of derived work, is not good from other points
of views so it will be entirely possibly that the courts will not rule
in their favour.