Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

J.Brown (Ender/Amigo) ender at enderboi.com
Thu Dec 20 22:43:46 CST 2001

Ah yes, Mister Slade from the 'QuakeLives' project... Oddly enough, none
of us have heard a thing from him since.

Basically he was in very hot water for not releasing the source - and his
attempts to circumvent the GPL by pretending the patches he was
distributing were closed-source failed... after all, the bytes he was
replacing with were still derived from compiling the original source code
and simply binary diffing the changes.

I happened to be stuck in the middle of this particular incident, and some
of Slades arguments were quite amusing. In one case, he attempted to put
up a pre-download EULA, stating that "You may not download these
binaries if you intend to request the source-code". Very
laughable... John Carmack even was prepared to pay a lawyer on
this one (http://finger.planetquake.com/plan.asp?userid=johnc&id=13992).

For anyone intrested (its a good laugh) here's a collection of e-mails,
irc logs, etc related to someone trying to ignore the GPL - badly.
(Warning, some zealots contained within).

http://www.kev.pulo.com.au/quake/qlfiles/