Bulletproof the debugger.

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.de
Fri Dec 21 16:36:44 CST 2001

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 01:52:12PM -0800, Medland, Bill wrote:
> Bill Medland (medbi01 at accpac.com)
> Don't ask me why but on my setup vsnprintf returned a value greater than
This is the new and correct behavior according to the C99 standard. All
snprintf function should return in error case the number of characters
that would have been written to the buffer if the size of buffer would
have been big enough.
This change while usefull will brake a lot of things. IMO the glibc is
still using the old behavior.

bye
	michael

> the size of the buffer (much bigger), resulting in the debugger tripping
> a segment violation.
> Considering the location of this code I see no problem with using belts and
> braces; it isn't going to be executed much but when it is we want it to work
> (despite braindead operating systems)

System Administration           Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani at redhat.de
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart