License debate conclusion

Roger Fujii rmf at lookhere.com
Sun Dec 23 03:54:12 CST 2001

Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.com> wrote:

> My conclusion is that there clearly isn't enough support in the
> developers community to justify changing the license. So I'm not going
> to proceed with any change, either now or in the foreseeable future.

hurrah.

before this is concluded, I will add one thing just for the sake
of archival (in case this comes up again).  If ALL of wine were strictly
LGPLed, basically, *all* propriatary extensions could no longer be
included.  Why?  Because the output of winebuild will be LGPLed, thus
no propriatary programs could use its output in creating a shared
library.  winebuild is like bison in this case, and the output of
bison has a special exemption so that you can use it in something
other than *GPLed programs.

This inadvertant problem is precisely why *GPLed stuff has to be scrutinized
carefully if you care about commercial relationships (most *GPL projects don't
care) and is why commerical interests are wary of projects with a *GPL license.

-r