License debate conclusion

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Dec 23 15:34:36 CST 2001

James wrote:

> Dan Kegel wrote:
> > I'm sad.  The LGPL seems like the clearest hope we have of protecting
> > Wine against companies that want to take it and never contribute code
> > back.  Its protection might not be airtight -- but it would clearly
> > communicate the spirit.  And my impresson was that the majority of
> > Wine developers agree.
>
> Like the ODIN Project!

Good point.

The ODIN project's license is at
http://odin.netlabs.org/License.phtml
There was some talk of sharing code between Wine and Odin in 1999;
see http://www.winehq.com/News/1999-50.html#0

We might want to update http://www.winehq.com/others.html to
reflect the current status and license of the Odin project.

I'm not quite sure whether the Odin license is compatible
with the LGPL.  It looks fairly GPL compatible, but I didn't look hard.
- Dan