Wine Tasklist (UNC)

Mike McCormack mike_mccormack at start.com.au
Tue Dec 25 20:08:46 CST 2001

Hi Francois,

I think the best way to handle UNC pathes is to do it properly; Wine
should talk SMB/NBT directly to other machines on the network, not
through Linux's VFS layer.

This approach would give high level of flexability to Wine. We could:

* support NetDDE and DCOM with a common code base
* use Windows file permissions and security properly
* support unicode share names properly
* support named pipes, etc across the network
* eliminate SMB<->VFS<->SMB problems eg. parsing /etc/fstab

There's three options:
1) write our own SMB code (wineserver talks NetBIOS/SMB)
   i have a short snippet of code to resolve NetBIOS names in
CreateFile, but that is only the beginning of the effort.

2) link with a LGPL'ed CIFS implementation.
   http://www.ubiqx.org/libcifs/ (very incomplete, but maybe
    possible later, may still have threading issues)

3) get Samba to provide us with a Unix domain socket to talk with.
(SambaTNG looks like the best bet there.)

i have experimented with linking Wine to samba's libsmbclient and use
it to open files. That works (i have a test patch), has threading and
licensing issues (it's GPL).

This would be alot of work, but i think it's the only way to do it
properly.

Mike

> * UNC path handling
>    - for drives '\\.\e:', devices
>    - for network paths
>    - there's been a patch related to this recently but I believe it
does
>     not cover all cases
>    - integrate with Samba to handle network UNC paths
>    - provide a way to mount/unmount drives at runtime, especially
>      network drives. One should be able to disable this in the
config
>      file (for security reasons).
>    - Support for 'persistent' mounts... will require modifying the
way w
>      specify which drives are mounted where.
>    - provide an applet to mount/unmount drives while Wine is
running.

mailto:Mike_McCormack at start.com.au
ph +82 16 430 0425