[Shrinker] Another landmine

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Wed Dec 26 14:46:33 CST 2001

Robert Baruch <autophile at starband.net> writes:

> So anyway, if we implemented this internal function (in C), then in theory
> it wouldn't be much of a big deal to code LdrAccessResource in assembly.
> Although it will raise a few eyebrows, we can always put in a comment
> similar to the one that will go in the assembler-coded EXC_CallHandler,
> that this code is required by Shrinker.

But unlike EXC_CallHandler there is no good reason to do that, except
to work around Shrinker stupidity. And for all we know there might be
20 more similar tests (and if not, they may be added in the next
Shrinker version), which will lead to major code obfuscation. We will
also most likely have a lot of trouble supporting the various -winver
versions.

At this point I think it would be a better strategy to write an
un-Shrinker tool that disables the most idiotic tests directly in the
shrinkered binary. Thanks to the DMCA, this should probably be done by
someone living outside the US...

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com