We *really* need a development model change !

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 09:38:24 CST 2001

Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> Andreas Mohr <andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de> writes:
>>Please comment on both my intended posting and the
way I programmed the first
>>version of the test suite (I'm not extremely happy
with the current program;
>>if you have any improvements, then get them here
ASAP !).

> Look at programs/winetest, that's the tool we should
use to write
> tests IMO.

Just looked at the tool. It only provides gateway from
Perl to wine API functions, right?

Advantages I see in using script-based tests:
1) tests can be used without recompilation
2) Perl is familiar to many developers
3) programming in scripting language is usually easier
than in C
4) Perl is widely used for testing purposes and I
expect to find many testing tools in Perl.

Cons:
1) Many current Wine contributors don't know Perl
2) one more level of abstraction does not give
significant advantages in this application. On the
contrary, it is more difficult to locate cause of
problems because developer has to go trough one more,
often not familiar layer. Absense of strict typing in
this layer will hurt a lot.

Advantages of using C-based tests:
1) compilation has to be used to run the tests. In
some cases this is an advantage. Before running the
tests you'd better be sure it at least compiles in
both environments.
2) C is the most familiar to developers language and
the language itself is simpler than Perl
3) Documentation for Win32 API is C-oriented.
Examples, given in documentation are in C or easy
translated to C
4) Developers already have some testing code snippets
in C

1) should help to quickly create tests
2) easy to use, should help to involve as many
developers as possible.
3) may be useful for developers, using Wine for there
projects

Because of the goals I'm more inclined to use C-based
test suite. IMHO it is better suited for existing Wine
developers audience and will provide us much bigger
code pool. I'm even ready to have tests in both - Perl
and C.

The big question is a tool to test GUI. I did not find
any OS Windows GUI testing frameworks :-(

Comments, suggestions?

Thanks,
Andriy Palamarchuk