We *really* need a development model change !

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Dec 27 14:23:52 CST 2001

On 27 Dec 2001, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
[...]
> The C vs. Perl question has been debated already, please check the
> archive. The truth is that a lot of people are willing to setup a
> testing infrastructure, but nobody is willing to write the actual
> tests.

   I don't know if it is that noone wants to write tests or if it is
that:
 * the current infrastructure has never been officially announced
 * the Wine project never officially said 'go ahead' write tests
   with our new testing infrastructure
 * there is no documentation on either how to write tests, no guidelines
   on how to write good tests, or on how one is supposed to run the Wine
   regression test suite
 * there is no sample test in any of the dlls/xxx directories. There is
   just one sample perl script in programs/winetest/test.pl
 * and there is also an autoconf test missing for '-lperl':
gcc -shared  -Wl,-Bsymbolic winetest.spec.o  winetest.o     wine.o -o
winetest.so -L../../library -lwine `perl -MExtUtils::Embed -e ldopts`
-lm  -lutil -ldl
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lperl

   So I would say we still have work to do on the infrastructure, if
nothing else in terms of documentation and 'advertising' it, if we are
to expect people to start writing tests.

                            $live{free} || die "";