We *really* need a development model change !

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 15:32:04 CST 2001

I looked at thread "Perl/Wine extension for perusal"
ran on February, 2001. Want to bring some information
from that thread to this discussion:

1) The discussion started from John Sturtz post, who
created the Perl module for Win32 functions.
Discussion what is better - C or Perl for unit testing
started later as I understand there was no conclusion.
Now I can assume that this topic was not "discussed to
death" and we can do it now ;-)

2) One of arguments about the tool choice was its
availability.

Currently you are free to use one of a few commercial
compilers, free compiler lcc or gcc as part of Cygwin,
mingw packages.
One more problem - support for a few compilers
environment for C.
Perl is available as ActiveState and standard ports.

3) No existing unit tests frameworks were discussed.

4) There was a suggestion to use both - C and Perl
tests

5) Was defined that existing application should not be
run as part of unit test.

I think these are all points of that discussions,
which will be interesting for this discussion. Feel
free to correct me.

--- Andreas Mohr <andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 12:13:05PM -0800, Francois
> Gouget wrote:
> > > The big question is a tool to test GUI. I did
> not find
> > > any OS Windows GUI testing frameworks :-(
> >
> >    Andreas has already replied and i agree with
> him. But I'll basically
> > repeat what he said to give it more weight :-)
> >
> >    GUI testing is not 'the big question'. It's
> irrelevant right now.

I'm convinced.

> In the meantime we should try to discuss more about
> what the test suite
> framework should look like, i.e. whether my approach
> is good/bad, what
> to possibly improve, what the output should look
> like and whether
> it's suitably parsable.

Results of preliminary review of the unit testing
frameworks. Some of these frameworks can run tests in
a separate address space and can report crashes!
Suprisingly I don't have too many options.

C frameworks:
1) Check. Problem - POSIX-based (under Windows needs
Cygwin).
2) CUnit. Problem - very simple, in development. I
think it is not worth trying.
3) cUnit. Problem - Linux only.
4) Autounit. Problem - POSIX-based
5) QMTest. Problem - needs Python.

C++ frameworks:
1) CPPUnit. Problem - in C++

Perl frameworks:
- there are quite a few Perl modules for testing on
CPAN, including port of JUnit to Perl.

despite the constraints? I'll review the chosen
frameworks more closely.

Perl modules are Ok and I can review them in detail if
we decide to go with Perl.

Andriy Palamarchuk