Mixed-mode CD Labels

Chris Green chris_e_green at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 28 05:24:14 CST 2001

On Friday 28 December 2001 20:24, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 07:06:46PM +1000, Chris Green wrote:
> > I've just experimentally, in my own copy of the CVS, changed the code in
> > misc/cdrom.c so that it handles mixed mode CDs the same as data CDs for
> > retrieving CD labels. (In the process of trying to get Age of Empires 1
> > to run in single-player mode).
> >
> > And surprisingly, it worked! (mind you AOE is not fast under wine, but
> > that's another problem).
> >
> > Does anyone have any comments on this approach? if not I'll submit a
> > patch...
>
> Hmm, did you actually implement something new or just used old sector
> reading code ?

I didn't do anything other than use the old sector-reading code. I can say
though that it worked for picking up the correct label for both Age of
Empires and for Diablo 1, so it does work for at least some CDs.

> I know for a fact that you need special raw sector ioctl()s at least for
> certain mixed-mode CDs...

Yeah I assumed there must have been something like that going on - I couldn't
think of any other reason why it wouldn't have been done.

I don't know - does it make sense for wine to support something that seems to
work at least some of the time, as opposed to not supporting it at all?

If not, are there any CDs in particular that you know of, that have the
requirement for a raw ioctl() read, I might have here, so I could experiment
with them?

regards
Chris Green