Mixed-mode CD Labels

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Fri Dec 28 05:38:50 CST 2001

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 09:24:14PM +1000, Chris Green wrote:
> On Friday 28 December 2001 20:24, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> > I know for a fact that you need special raw sector ioctl()s at least for
> > certain mixed-mode CDs...
>
> Yeah I assumed there must have been something like that going on - I couldn't
> think of any other reason why it wouldn't have been done.
Right :)
There are problems at least with certain mixed-mode CDs.

> I don't know - does it make sense for wine to support something that seems to
> work at least some of the time, as opposed to not supporting it at all?
I think what should be done is to find out which mixed-mode CDs exactly are
"special" and which ones aren't.

> If not, are there any CDs in particular that you know of, that have the
> requirement for a raw ioctl() read, I might have here, so I could experiment
> with them?
I guess it might be  music CDs with builtin biography data/programs often that
are problematic.

If you get hold of such CDs, then you need to experiment with
CDROMREADMODE2, CDROMREADMODE1 and/or CDROMREADRAW ioctl()s
(in /usr/include/linux/cdrom.h) to get back sector data.
I already verified once that you can get the CD label of "problematic"
mixed-mode CDs this way.
I couldn't figure out the mechanism that e.g. Windows uses to calculate
the serial number of these CDs, though.

You might probably want to figure out a way to have misc/cdrom.c
also support label and serial reading of problematic mixed-mode CDs, in a
modular way (i.e. one that doesn't look too awful code-wise ;)

Tel. +49 7159 800604                http://home.nexgo.de/andi.mohr/