Getting "Practice Exam" software working

Dax Kelson dax at gurulabs.com
Fri Dec 28 17:44:17 CST 2001

We have a training room full of students who are taking a cisco networking
design class.  The class is basically all lecture so they don't normally
use a computer, but tomorrow the students need to take a practice exam.

The student workstations are running Red Hat Linux 7.2.

Their student books come with a CDROM with a practice exam program that
is, of course, a windows app.

I've tried with the Wine that shipped with RH7.2, todays CVS snapshot, and
Codeweaver's preview 5 all with the same results.

It *almost* works.  I would rather get it working so we don't have install
windows just for them to run this one app.

The problem starts up ok as seen in the screenshots 1 through 3 below.

http://www.gurulabs.com/files/snapshot1.png
http://www.gurulabs.com/files/snapshot2.png
http://www.gurulabs.com/files/snapshot3.png
http://www.gurulabs.com/files/snapshot4.png  <- Problem here

The problem is the sample questions and answers don't show up.

http://www.gurulabs.com/files/snapshot5.png

The "exhibits" seem to work fine.

I'm using 100% builtin.  There are no warnings or outputs that are
displayed when exam question window starts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Please save me from having to
install windows on 13 computers. :)

Dax Kelson