Mixed-mode CD Labels

David Elliott dfe at tgwbd.org
Sun Dec 30 04:23:30 CST 2001

On 2001.12.30 05:10 Chris Green wrote:
> On Sunday 30 December 2001 20:04, you wrote:
> > > got about 8 of them so far, just use 'dd if=/dev/scd0 of=cd.dmp
> bs=65536
> > > count=1' and compress the result before emailing it to me :)
> >
> > hmm, wouldn't dd if=/dev/cdrom of=cd.dmp bs=2048 count=32 be better?
> >
> > Maybe it doesn't make a damn bit of difference, but as the blocksize on
> > cds is 2048 bytes I think it makes more sense to say gimme the first 32
> > 2048-byte sectors.
> >

> six of one, half-a-dozen of the other :) they give the same data, I just
> often go for large block sizes and smaller counts - some read-ahead type
> operations run faster, I find, if you do that. I don't mind either way :)

Duh!

For some reason I was thinking the other way around... i.e. If you specify
the blocksize as less than what the blocksize is (or not on an integer
multiple of it) then you run into issues.  You are correct, specifying it
as 64kiB (gotta love the new SI standards, hehe) would actually increase
the reading performance, not decrease it.

-Dave